Staff Rails Engineer
Do you want to be part of a development team that is entirely driven by delighting customers (as opposed to growth at all costs, or features that only serve to land that next big contract or round of funding)?
We are looking to add a talented Staff Web Developer that will help take the team to a new level. We don't track points, hours, vacation days, or other arbitrary metrics. We exist to delight with software that is flexible, easy to use, and solves our customer's problems.
The Receptionist, located in the RiNo district in Denver, CO, is a cloud-based Visitor Management Solution (VMS) that is used in more than 4,000 locations in 35 countries around the world to help reduce chaos in the front office and create a great first impression when it comes to connecting visitors with employees.
- Flexible hours from a combination of work environments including work-from-home in addition to a premier co-working space (Industry RiNo), with outstanding amenities (e.g., recreation, cafe, networking, etc.).
- A commitment to professional development and support of your growth.
- An opportunity to make a deep impact and fully contribute to the growth of our organization.
- Hard work, humanity, fun, and laughter. We are a small, passionate, driven, and highly collaborative team that is fully invested in the success of our company, and values contributions from each team member.
For a complete list of our benefits, check out this PDF!
- Be responsible for adding new features to the Rails application that is used by our customers to configure their iPad application and manage their visits.
- Collaborate with our Staff Mobile Engineer to define, scope, build, and test new features.
- Produce solid, thoroughly tested, defensively written code that meets today's requirements, while also being designed with an eye toward the future.
- Flex your entrepreneurial muscles by asking questions and getting to try out ideas that you think will help improve the company.
- Demonstrate alignment with our core values that are the FABRIC of everything we do.
- Build integrations that our customers will use to help them manage their visit data in an increasingly more efficient manner.
- Review code from other developers to ensure it is secure and bug free.
- At least 5 years of experience building and maintaining full stack web applications using Rails.
- Proficiency designing RESTful JSON APIs.
- Proficiency with both the back-end design of a system as well as the front-end usability.
- Passion for the needs of the customer, and a desire to talk to them to help inform product development.
- Natural curiosity to figure out how and why things work the way they do.
- A "do what it takes" attitude that helps you tear down blockers, but not at the cost of burnout.
- A personal commitment to quality, testing things yourself, and a general distaste for bugs.
- Competence interfacing with third-party services using webhooks and/or JSON APIs.
- Understanding the limitations and capabilities of mobile apps.
Nice to have skills/experiences:
- Gone through at least one major Rails upgrade (e.g. 5 -> 6).
- Built web applications capable of handling hundreds of requests per second.
- Handled payments via a subscription service like Recurly or Stripe.
- Built something in the iOS ecosystem.
Technologies Currently In Use:
Frameworks: Rails, MInitest, ViewComponents, Tailwind, StimulusJS, Hotwire
Operating Systems: macOS
Other: Postgresql, Redis, Sidekiq
Total compensation includes a base salary of $145,000 – $175,000 annually based on a combination of skills, experience, knowledge, and performance; plus the benefits listed above.
The Receptionist is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.